Thursday, September 26, 2013

Blog 5: Gleick 188-203

Prompt: what is the most complex or difficult about the reading's references to Boole, Russell, Gödel, Maxwell, and others? Why is it challenging? What words or concepts in particular are problematic? I pose these questions because I know that difficulty is often a way in or point of access: if you figure out what's difficult about a text, you've figured out its problem. That lets you investigate the problem. If you're a designer, an artist, a videographer, a musician, or somebody who works in media other than text, I'd love to see how you'd represent and upload to your blog the most complex or difficult problem posed by Gleick.

I guess one of the most confusing parts of Gleick's reading was the part of how analog sound is changed into binary digits of 1s and 0s.

To start I understand how 1s and 0s work in binary. How the numbers are placed so that the code makes since and ceates something out of that code. I guess I just don't understand binary as well as I thought I did. However, I did look up "How do you convert sound to binary" on YouTube and I got this video.

These two college students did an experiment on how to convert audio (songs from a Zune) into Binary using a computer program that they had to program. They went through trial and error trying to find the correct amplitude to fit with the 1s (or on position) and they used the 0s to represent silence. This still is over my head but I understand how it can be converted and what the 0s and 1s could possibly represent. This helped answer my original question of how it is converted into 0s and 1s, I still think that the total concept is over my head but I understand the basic meaning of sound and binary.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this was one of the more confusing parts of this chapter. The video you included really helped me actually kind of understand audio to binary code even though it's still kind of confusing to me even though anything in 0s and 1s still is over my head.

    ReplyDelete